Thursday, November 6, 2014

An attitude of gratitude


grat·i·tude

ˈɡradəˌt(y)o͞od/
noun
noun: gratitude
  1. the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
"she expressed her gratitude to the committee for their support"
synonyms:
gratefulness, thankfulness, thanks, appreciation, indebtedness

A common word with a bold meaning.  What does gratitude really look like?  Do I possess such an attitude?

An email sent from my mom about gratitude made me put on my thinking cap today.  As Thanksgiving approaches, am I practicing gratitude in my life?  What we intend to do (act/say) doesn't always come out the way we want.  I had a feeling that I needed to do some more research on this attitude and myself.

As I continue to grow as a woman (in faith, in maturity, in knowledge, in running, etc.) I am blessed by the other women that surround me and mentor me.  You cannot grow without being mentored by someone that a) is more knowledgeable in that subject, b) wiser, and c) gone through a similar experience.  I've found that I am not scared of asking for advice or direction.  

Something that I'm working on is being positive through bad circumstances and blessing others.  Starting small and making a difference locally is something we all can do.  I may not be able to change the world, but on a smaller scale I can make a positive impact on one person. 

This is where gratitude comes into play.  I have read that, "A grateful attitude in itself introduces an elevation of mood. When I see my circumstances through the lens of a grateful mind-set instead of the "I'm not getting what I want" mind-set, I feel better; I even have the potential to be happy in spite of circumstances." (Women of Faith)

In order to develop this attitude, why not start small? Start a list of those small things that you're grateful for, even if they're silly!  For example: That my husband put the seat down. He he.  Celebrating the small victories are just as rewarding as the big victories.  Make a commitment to check your attitude daily.  Am I grateful for what I have today?  Big or small.

Robert Emmons, perhaps the world’s leading scientific expert on gratitude, argues that gratitude has two key components.

“First,” he writes, “it’s an affirmation of goodness. We affirm that there are good things in the world, gifts and benefits we’ve received.”
In the second part of gratitude, he explains, “we recognize that the sources of this goodness are outside of ourselves. … We acknowledge that other people—or even higher powers, if you’re of a spiritual mindset—gave us many gifts, big and small, to help us achieve the goodness in our lives.”

What are some of the outcomes of practicing an attitude of gratitude?
  • Brings happiness
  • Strengthens relationships
  • Promotes forgiveness
Some other ways that you can cultivate gratitude:
  • Keep a gratitude journal
  • Write a gratitude letter
  • Teach gratitude to others, teach your children
  • Recognize the positives

Take this 20 question gratitude quiz, based on a scale developed by psychologists Mitchel Adler and Nancy Fagley.  See where you stand & make a change!   

No comments:

Post a Comment