Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

But it sure does hurt a lot!  My quick tid-bit for today: Growing, together and apart. 

This week marks the second time that Eric and I have been apart for a longer period of time.  Our first time apart was around the same time last year, but we weren't married yet.  Eric took a road trip across the country, while competing in the La Sportiva Mountain Cup race series.  We were apart for about a month!  

This time around, we're happily married, stronger, and the time apart is less than a week, while Eric is back-packing in NH.  One of Eric's passions is back-packing and orienteering.  Part of me wanted to be selfish and tell him not to go, but the majority of me wants him to take those opportunities with friends, doing what he loves.  Marriage is certainly about learning and growing together, but I also realize that we are both unique and have our own passions.  I want to support Eric through his adventures. 

Two things that I'm learning: how to support him, even when I don't want to (selfishly) and how to be alone.  

One thing that was hard to grow out of as a kid and through college was living on my own, having my own room, and being a big girl.  I've always shared a room with my sister and through college I always had a roommate.  So staying alone in our house is an adjustment (I'm a baby, I know).  And some of you know that we have a goldendoodle, Marley, but let's be honest, she's no guard dog.  Fears are certainly only in my mind and they can be overcome.  

It really helps having supportive family and friends.  Spending time alone with them while Eric is gone is unique and I treasure our time together.  They get to know me more as an individual.

Supporting Eric's passions is so important for his growth and for mine.  We could spend every waking hour together and never be apart, but what would that do for our individual growth?  Squat.  We will always serve as a unit, but individually strong.  In the past, in times apart, God has taught us important lessons and strengthened our relationship.  

So even when we spend time apart, the heart will grow fonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment