Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I choose...better!



My devotional hit me pretty hard today, a time when I needed to hear it.  I’ve experienced another potential set-back in my running career.  And like any set-back, it throws me for a loop and I instantly go into panic mode.  But, in reality…It’s not about you, Megan.

The truth is, I’ve had my fair share of injuries/set-backs & they’ve added up emotionally.  But there is also truth in the fact that I am human and that my body, if pushed hard enough, can break down.   

Injuries trigger a lot of negative feelings and emotions for me.  Feelings of failure, of lost time, of depression, of weakness.  My first thoughts are: why now, how, why are you punishing me, God?   
My underlying feelings are anger, bitterness, fear, and loss of self-worth (often taken out on those that I love).  The truth is…I am being conditioned.

Bruce Wilkerson, in his book Secrets of the Vine, notes, “God isn’t trying to just take away; He’s faithfully at work to make room to add strength, productivity, and spiritual power in your life. His goal is to bring you closer to the ‘perfect and complete’ image of Christ.”

My journey isn’t complete, it’s being written.  You take away what you put in, so yes, that means getting up earlier to stretch, taking more time to foam roll, and icing where it hurts.  And this doesn’t mean glossing over the problem and hoping it won’t come back.  This is routinely doing those strengthening exercises/stretching/and mentally conditioning your body where you are weak.

So I have a choice…Reminded by Sharon Jaynes:

“When we stop focusing on the not-so-mighty “me, myself, and I,” and start focusing on the almighty God, then we will begin to see our difficulties through the lens of God’s perfect and perfecting plan. If He prunes away a dream, it is only because He has a greater dream in store that will produce more and better fruit.”

In closing, I invite you to write a list of your set-backs (non-running as well) & any negative thoughts/vibes in your life right now.  PRAY OVER IT, THROW IT AWAY!

Now write a list of all the blessings you have in your life, things that you’re thankful for, people that you admire, things you love about yourself.  Put that list somewhere to look at each day as a reminder.  It will be a reminder that we have a choice…to be bitter or better than our circumstance. 

I’m choosing to be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment