Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The day that changed my life: 1 year ago, today

In honor of Throwback Thursday #TBT, I decided to share our story (written from Eric's prospective) of our engagement, that happened a year ago, today!

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How we got engaged- By Eric Marshall

 

I traveled to San Francisco to run a 27k trail race on Sunday, July 21st. The race was part of the LaSportiva Mountain Cup Series, a ten-race circuit I had been competing in across the country. To finish up my 5 week road trip, (7,000 miles) Megan was flying into San Francisco and would be taking 9 days to drive back to Pennsylvania with me.

Megan and I had not seen each other in over a month, and we were both highly anticipating our reunion on the west coast. Although a proposal seemed likely in the future, Megan was unaware that I was able to plan a proposal for our trip. The two of us had talked about an engagement, but it was paramount that I speak with her father before asking for her hand in marriage.

Unknown to her, (Thank you all who kept a really good secret) I met with her father, Joe on June 28th to ask for his blessing. You see, initially Megan thought that I was going to be able to talk to her father on July 4th, when we had planned to visit her family at their cabin. But because I was already going to be half-way across the country at that point, the timing wasn’t going to work. Joe and I had a great dinner, and he gave me his blessing on behalf of him and Barb that evening.

Megan’s flight on Tuesday, July 23rd into SF was delayed, but nothing could stop the flood of emotions, hugs, and kisses we experienced when we reunited at the terminal. One more trial down, and it was time to enjoy each other’s company!

I planned an eventful day for the two of us. I had prepared a lunch, some hors d'oeuvres, and a bottle of white wine for us to enjoy at Stinson Beach. To get there, we drove along the Pacific Coast Highway. We smiled, laughed, and were full of joy! It was beautiful.

Our time at the beach passed by quickly. I took a few pictures of the two of us, Megan got her feet wet in the Pacific, and we were on our way, back to the city. I hurried Megan along, explaining to her that we had reservations, but I wanted to take her to a park first, to see the sun set.

The previous evening, I had set out to find the best location to propose to Megan. After reading a few reviews online, an old military base that was given over to the park system, caught my attention. Crissy Field was a nice park at the north end of the city, close to where we would be. As I walked along its path following the bay’s bank, I came up to a picnic bench. I got chills immediately, knowing that this was where I would propose to Megan the following night! The bench looked over the bay, with the Golden Gate Bridge to the west, and Alcatraz to the east.

Megan hurried out the door, unaware of what was about to proceed. It was ten until six, and I had hired a violinist to play at the picnic table in ten minutes. 6 o’clock rolled around and Megan and I were at the table, taking in the littoral view. To accompany us, I brought a bottle of red wine, to make the scene more romantic. We sipped the wine and talked about our love and our time spent apart. We held each other closely, because the cold waters of the bay cooled the air and there were light winds.

I looked down at my watch and realized the violinist was extremely late! I called him and asked where he was. He replied that he arrived around six o’clock, but was unable to locate us. I told him to return ASAP! Of course, I finished the conversation with him by announcing that I was okay with our, “dinner reservation” being pushed back a bit.

Around 7’oclock, Megan began asking reasonable questions. When does the sun set here? Can we walk down to the warming hut I had described so vividly earlier, with it’s warm coffee and fireplace? “No” I replied, “Let’s stay here and take some pictures first”! She gave me the look, but hesitantly got up and moved into the focus of my camera’s lens.

Finally! I could hear the violinist making his way over towards us. I set the camera on “video mode” to capture the proposal. I asked Megan to come towards me as she began to laugh, noticing a violinist making a b-line our way. She continued to laugh, until she realized what was happening. She said she heard it in my voice.

I grabbed her hands and told her that I love her.  I told her that I love her because of her heart. I love that she puts God first in her life. I love that she loves her family and her friends. And I love her because she wants to make a family and share her life with me.

And so, I fumbled my cold hands toward the ring in my pocket, got down on one knee, and asked if she would make me the most blessed man in the world!

She said yes, Twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment