Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Out with the old, in with the new

Today is a new day, sigh, breathe.  I'm starting to figure out that life has seasons, and those seasons can be good, bad, fruitful, or nagging.  It's time to prepare myself for all seasons and be strong enough to get through them.  I haven't posted for awhile because I've gone through many seasons and many transitions.  

I've always thought that running was my gift.  But through a nagging, year-long injury I've come to terms that it is a gift to be able to run. It wasn't till after reading an interview with Meb's wife, that I found myself re-thinking why I run.   

My mom, being the sweet and thoughtful person, said to me, "It is a gift to be able to run, but running is not your gifts . .your character, your heart, your heart for students to guide them, your love for God, your kindness to others...just a few!"

I am now re-defining my purpose in life, not by my accomplishments and my running, but by kindness and how I can help others.  I want to use running as a tool, but not as something I worship.  The amount of time that I've wasted complaining and self-pitying could have been spent helping someone else in need.  It could have been spent encouraging a friend or my sister.  No more "woe is me" time.  It's time to rise-up and be strong.  Every day is a battle, but having other sisters (both by blood and by friendship) for encouragement can provide stability and strength.  

Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV)
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. 

I am constantly gaining wisdom and momentum off of other women and their battles.  I want to point out a local runner, Chanelle Price that almost gave up, but re-defined her life/purpose in running.  

Until next time,

Megan Marshall

2 comments: