Tuesday, May 27, 2014

You are what you eat

I won't go into this subject too far, as I know there are many opinions/books/etc. written on diets/fads/and other recommendations.

Just like my earlier post said: EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Things that I believe about eating:

  • Metabolism changes with age.
  • You can't eat like your male counterpart, even though I can.
  • You can't expect to be able to digest diary or gluten your whole life, bodies change.
  • Healthy eating habits are good to ingrain young, the earlier the better.
  • The less-processed the food, the better. EAT FRESH.
  • Healthy food DOES taste good and you CAN find easy/cheap recipes. 
    • For example: Making your own pizza costs less than $7!
    • For example: Making your own hummus costs less than $2! 
As my age changes, so does my body.  This year has been full of transitions (new job, marriage, moving, injury, etc.).  Along with life transitions, my body is transitioning.  I can't deny the inevitable: child-preparation.  I've been trying so hard to get back to the fitness I had in 2013, that I forget about what my body needs and the changes it's going through.  One of those things that I've forgotten about is iron and how badly I need it.

Unfortunately, I was recently diagnosed with low-iron and low ferritin.  "The level of ferritin has a tremendous impact on the absorption of iron from the diet", as stated in an article by Runner's World called, Ironing Out the Details.  I have been iron deficient before and I knew that something what going on with my body.  I am frustrated that I waited so long to get tested, but I've learned that it will be more important in the future to take iron for maintenance.  Besides the recommendation of a supplement to get my levels back to normal, another tip would be to adjust my diet and learn how iron is absorbed with food.

In, Fueling the Runner: Pumping Iron, Jackie Dikos, R.D. confirms that, "there are two forms of dietary iron, heme iron and non-heme iron.  Heme iron is commonly found in animal sources and is more readily absorbed. Non-heme iron is primarily found in plant sources and is not absorbed quite as easily.  Iron supplements are typically a source of non-heme iron.  Various components of the food we eat can also influence how well we absorb and use iron."

I am not fully a vegetarian because I love meat, but Eric and I don't eat a lot of red meat.  BUT, Dikos says, "Peptides in meat such as chicken, beef, fish, and pork enhance iron absorption."  We can continue eating other sources to enhance absorption.  We've always paired our meals with a vegetable and I am exited to say that we are starting our first CSA (crop share) on Tuesday with Village Acres Farm.  Having a significant supply of fresh veggies and herbs will enhance what we can pair together and they provide recipes for those of us who haven't cooked with veggies outside our comfort-zone.

I'm sure you'll be hearing about my CSA-cooking updates and also how my iron levels have changed after eating differently & taking a supplement.

After all, you are what you eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment