Thursday, May 22, 2014

The vicious cycle of being stubborn

My motto: Never back down.  Never give up.  No matter what it takes.  Well...that doesn't always work in my favor, or anyone's favor for that matter.  Especially when circumstances don't turn out a certain way.

Life example: Dating men that "sounded/looked" good. Filling that loneliness with people instead of waiting patiently for God to put the right one in my life and filling that void with Him. 

The cycle: After many vicious, pathetic, empty encounters & many fights with Mom & Dad about how these guys weren't "right" for me, I gave my dating life to Christ and all the chasing that I did.  It took me 27 years, but I did it.  I was free from "being good enough" and acting/dressing certain ways to get the attention of men.  Not worth it, point and case.  Men don't fill our empty hearts, Christ does and I had to hit rock bottom to realize that.  Many of you will.

Ending the cycle: A great man, planted in my life at the PERFECT time.  Not my timing & not anyone else's timing.  I don't think I would've been ready at any other point in my life for Eric.  Just when you least expect it.  Never doubt the profound and intricate abilities of our God and His promises.  Even if that means fighting through the world's thoughts on what's normal and right.  I kept thinking that the next guy was "the one" due to certain factors and that I was getting older so I should settle down soon.  Now I know, never settle.

Action plan: Make a list of all the characteristics that you want in a future partner and pray over it.  Eric was everything on my list and MORE! 

Running example: Being set up to become an elite athlete and run incredibly fast in a Division I Track and Field program.

The cycle: Countless years of injury, including double-tarsal tunnel release surgery, stress fractures, mono (2x) and tendonitis, I realized I was not the "favored" athlete on the team.  Somehow, I lost my love for running and my spirit in college.  I kept pressing and fighting to come up short.  My stubbornness turned into being injury-prone and written off.

Ending the cycle: God has taught me many lessons and in a previous blog I noted that it is a gift to be able to run, but it shouldn't run my life (no pun intended).  I've come to terms that having an injury in my past can make my story not only relate-able, but teachable to other athletes.  Every set-back was a learning experience.  It's about making the right choices in the future.  

Action plan: Continuously learning from other women athletes and being realistic in my goals.  When I'm having fun and running with grace, I know I will set PR's.  One company that exemplifies that camaraderie is Oiselle.  In a bloggers article: Kara's Big Moves she states:

Their mission is simple and straightforward: help empower female runners of all abilities, encourage healthy habits (the female running world is littered with disordered eating), run hard, run clean, and be a superfan of the brand and each other.

If you scroll down, you will read their manifesto...so bold!

PR's:

800: 2:09 (2005)
1500: 4:37 (2013)
Mile: 4:57 (2013)
5K: 17:55 (2013)
Sprint Triathlon: 1:18 (2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment