Monday, May 19, 2014

The Comparison Card

We all do it, don't we?  Men and women alike.  We compare.  Unfortunately, I think our society and Hollywood have something to do with it, but can we help ourselves?

I would say that self-confidence is something that I learned early by playing sports and working hard.  But even when I was confident on the playing field I was lacking confidence in school, especially by being tall, thin and having big feet.  Boys didn't like my build and I purposely slouched to not seem as tall.  Even after positive reassurance from my family, I still couldn't shake the bullying that I went through in middle school.  Even when I was a stand-out athlete in high school, I had issues getting teased, even when hanging out with the "popular" girls. 

I would say that sports was my outlet to be good at something, but even then I would be comparing myself to other "better" runners and how much faster they were.  This cycle continued on through college, which is where body image issues came out.  You had to be "thinner" and "toned" to be good.  I would like to think that there is this unspoken culture in running that many of us are aware of with body image.  Elite runner & blogger, Lauren Fleshman went against the grain when writing her blog called, Keeping it Real.  This blog pointed out that magazines and photos alike are unrealistic.  Her confidence and character show how real, even elite athletes can be, and that self-confidence is important.

On another angle, I'd like to think that a confident heart is the core of self-confidence.  For me, a confident heart means a strong faith, reliant on God and accepting the things I cannot change.  I think that is why I tattooed Serenity on my shoulder.  It is important for me to be able to accept the things I cannot change and have the right perspective in a world that focusses on the outward appearance.   Because guess what...God loves me NO MATTER WHAT!

 “When I choose to dwell in the assurance of Whose I am and who I am in Him, I have a confident heart.”
Renee Swope, A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises 

 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. Hebrews 10:35–36

How easy it is to get sucked into the comparison card and to focus on what others have and what you don't.  But why would God make us all the same and with all the same gifts.  That would be silly.  So I will say after years of comparing, I've thrown that card out the window.  God chooses me for a purpose and I can be confident in His promises.  Embrace your differences, even through adversity that you may face.  Instead of, I want to be her, I want to have what she has, why not be the best YOU possible? 

Being confident and intelligent is way more "sexy" than anything you can find on the outward appearance.  Ashton Kutcher, during his Teen Choice Awards acceptance speech, reminds us that the outward appearance is not what gets you places in life.

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
Renee Swope, A Confident Heart  

No comments:

Post a Comment